Help Design the Olde Town Hotel – Deadline on Monday

by John Kiljan

Dear CLRC members and friends,

You can help decide what Olde Town’s first modern hotel will look like, but you have to speak up soon.   Last Wednesday evening, the Hilton Garden Inn developers showed the public four possible design concepts for the hotel to be located just south of the center of Olde Town.

All four proposed concepts look different than a typical Hilton Garden Inn located in other states. The designer has made a conscious effort to redesign the HGI standard model to better fit in with Olde Town’s existing architecture. And, most people attending the Wednesday design meeting seemed to appreciate that effort.

Typical Hilton Garden Inn in other states

Typical Hilton Garden Inn in other states

The designer, Brinkman Partners, is welcoming further comments from the public before they select their choice to take to the City of Arvada to start the approval process around the middle of next week. Brinkman’s Development Manager, Todd Parker, invites you to call him with your preference for their concept designs or any other thoughts you might have related to the appearance of the building. But you have to do it before the close of business on Monday, March 16th.

His direct number is 970-672-1014 and you can leave a voicemail message if he’s not in. You are also invited to try his cell phone at 970-231-0746. The 970 area code is for Fort Collins, so you might need to add a “1” to the number.

If you want to email him instead, that’s okay too. But you have to get emailed comments in a little earlier, by Sunday night. And, you have to put in a subject line that has the words “Olde Town Hotel Design” or something similar so it is not overlooked in the weekend email clutter. That email address is todd.parker@brinkmanpartners.com . [That’s a corrected email address.]

So get ready for a lot of pictures. I’m sorry about the quality, but there was no time to get the files and do the conversions needed for a high-resolution WordPress posting on RalstonCommunity.org .

Design concept #1

Design concept #1

Design concept #2

Design concept #2

Design concept #3

Design concept #3

Design concept #4

Design concept #4

The hotel's original design concept

The hotel’s original design concept

[Disclosure: My own comments were that I preferred concept #3 the best, but that number four was pretty good also. I liked the brighter colors of #3, and I really liked the design of the entryway rain cover on #3.  The flat-roof entryway in the other designs looks very 1970-ish to me.  I’m told there was almost a tie between #2 and #4, with #3 close behind for the dozen or so members of the public attending the Wednesday showing. Nobody seemed to like concept #1 – myself included. Personally, I thought concept #2 looked like a factory or warehouse and was somewhat dreary. What looks like brick in that design is actually stucco, but others thought it was more in keeping with the character of the commercial buildings in the oldest part of Olde Town.]

WHERE TO FIND OUT MORE
The backstory on the new hotel is covered in several CLRC articles. The most relevant one can be found at

And just in case you haven’t seen enough photos, here are some pictures of what the adjacent buildings surrounding the site look like – most are of the Water Tower apartments/condos. You should be able to enlarge any by clicking on them.

Of course, if you really want to be thoughtful in your comments, you can take advantage of the nice weather predicted for the weekend and drive (or walk or cycle) out to the Mile High Vineyard church and look at what is out there now for yourself.  That’s what I did last myself last weekend.

P1000747P1000745P1000743P1000739P1000738P1000737P1000736P1000734P1000733P1000731P1000730

Site aerial view

Site aerial view

And, finally, if you are interested in the church that temporarily occupies the site of the hotel, you might want to drop in and say hello while you are looking over the site. Pastor Jay Pathak is very personable and has a neat website that tells you what the church does and what to expect if you attend a service there. That website can be found at http://www.milehighvineyard.org/ .

The Citizens for a Livable Ralston Community is an independent neighborhood association representing the neighborhoods adjacent to Ralston Road from Wadsworth Bypass to the Kipling Parkway.

Our main website is at http://www.RalstonCommunity.org or you can read even more posts on our Facebook page at “CLRC – Citizens for a Liveable Ralston Community”. You can write to us, call us or email us at

CLRC
6185 Field Street
Arvada, CO 80004

303-423-9875
jpkiljan@yahoo.com

March 13, 2015

Advertisements
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Help Design the Olde Town Hotel – Deadline on Monday

1. Ron Heard says:

I humbly suggest #4!

2. Mary Fedje says:

I like design #3. It looks upscale but approachable ,Like I want to spend money.

3. Jessie says:

My vote is for #2. I think it lends itself to the old fashioned styling of old town Arvada.

4. susan foster Beste says:

I personally feel that a smaller boutique hotel might better fit with the existing surroundings.

5. Phil Bradley says:

“Other states” looked the best.

6. Nicole Knop says:

Design #4! It fits perfectly with the surrounding architecture and Old Town’s feel.

7. Becky says:

#4 looks good to me, blends with the neighborhood better, liked #2 but not with stucco

8. Shannon says:

I like the softer lines of 3, but overall I think 4 fits the area better.

9. Dear Mr Parker,

Let me first thank you for offering to keep the public meeting comment period open for a few extra days so that those who could not attend your public input meeting on March 11th could also give you their thoughts. From what I can see from the number of “hits” the neighborhood association got for its website notice about the offer — about a thousand — there has been a lot of public interest in what the hotel will look like.

I hope those who responded didn’t overload your voicemail or email inboxes over the weekend. I also hope you found the feedback you received to be useful. Some of it ended up in the comments section of our CLRC posting at

and I encourage you to read those as well.

I recently went out to the site and had a look at what is already there in neighboring buildings. I tried to image what each of the four choices would look like sitting on that lot.

My thoughts kept going back to the first public input meeting you held on February 16th [actually on the 19th], and what one of your design team members said then when someone asked about using the same architectural style as the buildings in the center of Olde Town. Here’s the quote:

“Let me speak to that briefly. It’s always, you know, I’ve done a lot of projects in infill in downtown [Denver] and I will say, more often than not, from my experience, from what I’ve seen out there, the end result of the attempt to match with historic is worse than the end result of something that tries to give a little contrast to it and play off of it, and that’s just my opinion. I don’t have any – you can drive around – and maybe there are poor examples of both out there? But I do think it’s a challenge always.”

“And from the projects we’ve done, we’ve had more success in doing something that plays off of, and takes its cues from downtown, and is something that is a little different. And, over time, when you drive through Olde Town, it’s not all one vision [?]. It is, you know, a broad spectrum of years and architecture and size, and so I do . . . [interrupted by a participant here]”

Design concept #2, the one with the false brick stucco styling, seems to be a popular choice because it does seem to be the best match to the oldest commercial structures in Olde Town. But for this site, I think it would be a mistake. It would not blend in with its immediate surroundings. And if it were built, people would be wondering for years why it looks so different from its neighbors and would be wondering what you were thinking of at the time.

My preference is still for #3 because of how well it’s light colors match the surrounding buildings, and because I really like its airy curved-roof entryway. If those elements could be blended in with #4, I think that would be an excellent choice as well.

Sincerely,

John Kiljan
    sent Sunday, March 15, 2015, 11:40 am

10. Pingback: Olde Town Hotel Developer Delivers Preliminary Design to City | Citizens for a Livable Ralston Community